Sleeping in a hammock is a great experience, but admit it, you have only seen people lying and sleeping in a hammock on their backs. What if you have always been a side sleeper and can’t put yourself to sleep in any other position?
Does that mean you are out of luck on your upcoming camping trip? You are already imagining yourself falling out of your off-the-ground bed or perhaps you are convincing yourself that sleeping on a hard surface isn’t really that bad. Let’s take a step back. What if we told you we can find the best backpacking hammock for side sleepers like you?
Here’s the thing; you don’t have to feel odd about your situation. Side sleeping is not bad in any way. In fact, it has quite a few benefits, some which you will you read in this review. So, before we get into the list of the best backpacking hammocks for side sleepers, let’s talk a little about side sleeping and its benefits.
Table of Contents
Are You a Side Sleeper?
There are different types of sleepers; some spend nights of sleep on their stomachs while others sprawl all across the bed.
You might also see some sleepers who curl themselves up into a ball. And yet, others think that the only right way is to sleep on their back. No matter what your choice of sleeping is, the essential thing you must know is that your sleeping position can have both positive and negative impacts on how you spend your next day.
It’s fascinating how your sleeping position may also reveal some details about your personality. Here, our primary focus is on side sleeping, which is without a doubt, the most popular sleeping position around the world.
Side Sleeper: What are the Benefits?
Sleeping on your back is an ideal sleeping position. According to researchers, the benefits of side sleeping are pretty similar to those of sleeping on the back.
When your side sleep is accurate with proper body alignment, it can help reduce pain from both lower back and joints. Also, side sleeping can decrease the risk of having chronic pain.
Snoring is a common sign you can see in obstructive sleep apnea. It can cause you to have some severe disruption in breathing. Side sleeping can also reduce such snoring condition. Following are the long-term complications you may have due to obstructive sleep apnea;
- Heart attack
- Cognitive issues
You can prevent cognitive issues from occurring with the help of excellent sleep routine. Some researches on side sleeping claim that it may benefit the overall health of your brain.
This sleeping position will also improve the digestive system and may help prevent gastrointestinal issues like constipation, bloating, and heartburn.
Factors: Choose the Right Hammock for Your Backpack
In a hammock, your body will remain in a single and flexible position. The mattress of your bed can force you to sleep in all types of unhealthy positions, but a hammock keeps you in the most favorable sleeping position. Here are some benefits you can enjoy by sleeping in the right hammock.
Helps You Fall Asleep Quickly
According to a current biological study, you can fall asleep faster in a hammock than you would in your bed. This attributes to the fact that the sleeping position of your body is already perfect.
You can observe the difference in both swaying and stationary. The transition of sleep on a swaying bed is quicker than it is on a stationary bed.
Helps with Deeper Sleep
Not only do you fall asleep faster, but you also sleep longer in a hammock. Also, there are numerous health benefits that come with deeper sleep, such as better memory, improved concentration and mood, elevated mental performance, and many more.
Can Result in Brain Hacks
Those who sleep in a hammock can have an alternative brain wave, which occurs due to its swaying motion. Swaying motion in a hammock can make your brain stronger.
May Cure Insomnia
Hammocks may ease and even treat insomnia. Researchers think that the gentle motion of a hammock encourages a deep stage of sleep, so you can sleep for longer periods. So, if you are living with insomnia, you must try hammock for once to explore its benefits.
5 Best Hammocks that Will Fit Perfectly in a Single Backpack
#1 – Active Camping Hammock
This one is a complete package, as it can accommodate one or two persons and allows for the attachment of mosquito net. You can carry it with you conveniently because of its light weight and easily hang it from the trees.
The entire hammock will fold to a small 10-inch structure and go easily inside any backpack. Because of its generous dimensions, you shouldn’t have any problem sleeping on your side inside it. When looking for the best backpacking hammock for side sleepers, this one should be on every list.
- Durable with a double camping hammock and supports up to 500 pounds
- Weighs less than 2 pounds you can fold and pack it within 3 minutes
- The high-quality materials for the structure and straps to sleep worry-free
- 100% of money-back guarantee from the makers
- Made from water-resistant fabric
This one might not be as strong as our first on the list, but it definitely has some strengths that make it unique. You can fold the entire hammock and store in a 14-inch tall bag with ease.
Reinforced stitching makes it a tough contender on the list, with a weight tolerance capacity of 350lbs. The rain-fly fit ensures you can keep swinging, swaying, and relaxing even when it is raining.
- The original bundle of lost valley’s expedition hammock includes rain fly, mosquito net, single hammock, 2 Tree strips, 2 12kN Aluminum carabiners, 2 Guy Lines, and 2 Stakes
- Ultra-strong anti-tear parachute made up of nylon material with unbreakable stitching and knots to hold up to 350 pounds
- Lost valley’s expedition hammock comes with a pouch for accessories – you can see that pouch on the inside of your hammock.
- You can also fit all the necessary items into a drawstring bag.
- This set is lightweight, portable, and you can set it up within 3 minutes.
#3 – Kammok’s Single Outdoor Hammock
Don’t let the looks of this hammock underestimate it. It looks simple, but is one of the strongest hammocks you will find on the market. The best part is that it comes in a variety of colors, so you can pick one that suits your personality and taste. While others boast their 3 and 4-minute install time, you will be all set with this one in just a minute.
- Kammok’s single outdoor hammock offers an unbreakable racer sling to hold a force up to 5000 pounds. Its double wire gate prevents your hammock from slipping.
- This outdoor hammock’s fabric will provide you with maximum comfort. Kammok has used UV, gravitas diamond ripstop, and water-resistant fabrics in making this one. You can carry it anywhere because of its lightweight.
- Kammok’s single outdoor hammocks come with a lifetime warranty. Every product from Kammok has a lifetime warranty.
#4 – Hennessy’s Special Expedition Hammock
If you are a tall person, this one is for you. It is one of the most feature-rich options on the market. You can attach a mosquito mesh with it, but remove it when you want some stargazing time.
You can spend time privately inside the hammock because of the zipper entry. The first thing you will notice about this hammock is its asymmetric shape, and that’s exactly what makes it a perfect pick for side sleepers.
- The bottom material is made of high-density nylon with 30D mosquito mesh. You will also have a complimentary webbing strap.
- Asymmetrical shape allows users to sleep in many different positions.
- The zip entry feature allows for private and isolated time.
- Heavy-duty polyester ropes hold the hammock tightly in place despite all your movements during sleep
#5 – Tentsile’s Double T-Mini Hammock
You will secure this hammock in place with three anchor points, which will make the bottom so tight that you will feel like sleeping in your personal bed.
If you are adventuring with your partner, you can’t go wrong with this one. However, the additional anchor means you will have to spend around eight minutes to install it before you are ready to stretch inside it.
- Brings a special 3 point anchor system that offers a taut base for a couple to have a comfortable sleep.
- The hammock can withstand a load of 200kg; the T-mini design is perfect for two people and is perfect for people who love to go out in nature.
- The hammock comes with an anti-roll strap system. This offers each individual a separate sleeping bay. This allows you to keep sleeping or resting in one position firmly rather than rolling down the middle.
- You don’t have to find a level ground to set up this hammock. It gets its support from 3 anchor points, which allows the hammock to stay above the ground.
- It will weigh more than 5lbs in your backpack.
Best Backpacking Hammock for Side Sleepers – Conclusion
So, now you know that being a side sleeper isn’t all bad luck for you when looking for a hammock. The options stated above are big enough to accommodate and are among the best backpacking hammock options for side sleepers.
Additionally, since they are quite light, you can easily carry them in your backpack when adventuring in nature.
Before you make your purchase, do look at their setup time and complexity because they vary greatly from one option to another and can mean a lot to most buyers. If you’re looking for more side sleeping equipment, check out our article “Best Backpacking Pads for Side Sleepers“. Happy travels!